Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Casa Nueva



The front door of Casa Nueva


I don't know much about the traditional Mexican cuisine, but I do know that whatever Casa Nueva is actually serving it is amazing. Whether you are eating in the Cantina, open late and with easy access to the bar, or in the restaurant, classy and cozy with walls lined in local art, you're certain to have a meal made of fresh and local ingredients.

Casa, as it is known for short, is a local favorite, and my inspiration for starting this blog. Many of my classmates have a tradition of going to the Cantina every Thursday night. We have managed to work our way through many of their ten salsas. My personal favorite is the Prima Verde blend, described on the menu as the Verde salsa, which is, "Cilantro, hot wax chilies and garlic", but "made even greener with spring herbs and citrus juices". Taking a chip full of this cool, green salsa is like taking a sip of a margarita.

To the left: The Casa Cantina sign

The items are locally grown whenever possible. Those that aren't are certain to be ethically produced. This attention to social issues and progressive politics has not gone unnoticed by the greater community. It has been listed as one of the most gay and lesbian-friendly establishments in Athens.

Culture is as important as the food at Casa. The establishment is worker-owned, and I think that that investment makes everything taste a little better. The extends to the homemade flavored vodkas that live behind the bar. Not everyone is as impressed as I am with Casa's full slate of causes, and I understand that. Sometimes you just want a burrito, not a vegetarian friendly meal where only the name, the tortilla, and the black beans are identifiable as Mexican staples.

They serve breakfast, though I have never been. Looking over its offerings little new springs up. All have twists that promise to excite, or at least wake up, your taste buds.

If you need to try one of the salsas - and you should - get some down at the Athens Farmer's Market. Casa always has all of their salsas, at least at the opening. Get there early because these sides sell out quickly.

Location information:
4 West State Street
Athens, Ohio 45701
Hours: Vary based on if you're visiting the Cantina or Restaurant. If you're visiting Monday-Friday you can get food starting at 8 a.m., 9 a.m. on the weekends. The full meals stop at 9 p.m. on weekdays and 10 p.m. on weekends. The Cantina stops serving appetizers at 11 p.m. weekdays and midnight on weekends.

If you're looking to make something like this yourself:
  • Salsa Verde: Fork in the Road offers some wonderful pictures to go along with her salsa verde recipe.
  • Rice and Beans: Cooking with Anne offers something you will find a lot of at Casa, a twist on traditional Hispanic cuisine. Here you're using Sofrito rice and red beans.
  • Bandito Burrito: This recipe for a vegan burrito could be right at home on the Casa menu, but when you're making it at home you can easily incorporate meat for us carnivores out there.
If you would like more information about eating locally this article from the Loudin Times-Mirror from Loudin, Virginia does a great job explaining it.

6 comments:

  1. i love their Burrito~I think they are biggest competitor for Chippoli in Athens~

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Huntington, "healthy" Mexican is asking for your food to be fried in butter instead of lard. It's great to know that you have some better options upriver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love their vegetarian chili. Every time I go there I get the vegetarian chili burrito. It's AWESOME! My only qualm about Casa is that it usually takes forever to get served because they make pretty much everything from scratch. Casa would definitely be my number one restaurant recommendation in Athens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've eaten at Casa an average of two or three times every week this quarter, haha. I love their spring menu, but actually tried the classic Casa Burrito for the first time recently and almost keeled over because it was so good. There was a lot of cream cheese in it so that may have been why, but every meal is a healthy meal at Casa, so why not??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hej Colleen, I just found your blog via Ash's blog and I am happy to see a blog on healthy eating. I don't know if you want to address the issue but for vegetarians often the options are rather unhealthy or very limited/boring. Casa is an exception to that. Another location that offers a healthy choice might be Brenen's Café. I recently went there and they specifically point out on their menu a range of two or three "Under-500-Calories" sandwiches. I took the one with hummus. It was tasty and came like all other sandwiches with a pickle and cole slaw. I think the Bagel Street Deli is another good spot for a variety of vegetarian and healthy options.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am (obviously) a massive fan of the Casa. And even when my meal is probably thousands of calories I like to console myself that it is:

    a) totally delicious
    b) cheaper than getting a pizza
    c) full of good for me veggies that I would normally never eat

    Stine, thank you for the suggestions. Bagel St. is on my list of places to cover, but Brenen's had totally slipped my mind. That 500-calories selection would make for some easy writing. Well, that and a guilt-free lunch!

    ReplyDelete