Saturday, May 30, 2009

Donkey Coffee


The front door of Donkey Coffee

I'm a caffeine addict. I need it to function. I'm also a pretentious coffee house addict. I need them to feel like the artistically oppressed journalist that I am. Now, I'm asking you to imagine a coffee house with a creative name, a low pretension quotionent. Perhaps there are people behind the counter who can tell you where all of the baked goods came from, and there is locally produced art on the walls.

Well, my friends, Donkey Coffee, just off of Court Street is offering coffee with a conscience. They offer some of the most delicious drinks and snacks in Athens. Donkey proves that you can get a frou-frou drink without having the accursed Starbucks label on your cup.

I spoke with baristas Vaughn and Beth today, and they offered their version of why Donkey has some of the healthiest refreshments in Athens.

Vaughn says, "The majority of our products are fair trade and organic. Those that aren't are locally made. We do as much as possible to avoid the evils of large corporations."

That all means that from the cup to the plate, any item that goes into your stomach at Donkey has had as few steps as possible to get there. As much as it is feasible in the modern age, everything can be traced to somewhere beyond a processing plant.



Donkey has two levels and, in nice weather, outdoor seating. The upper level is much smaller and intimate. The front of the main level has the requisite fluffy chairs, board games, and coziness that you would expect from a local coffee shop. The back room offers more gallery space,more tables and chairs and, occasionally, a performance space. A full calendar of events at Donkey can be found here. They offer musical events, films, and whatever else they feel might interest their clientele.
(Above) The front room of Donkey

They are not just participating in the health of their patrons - they're actually a vegan-friendly coffee shop! Yes, soy is all over if you would like it. Vega baked goods are available, and I was tempted by a vegan chocolate muffin the size of a small cake. Below you'll see the extensive snack case.

No, they are also involved in the health of the community. My friend Celia turned me on to their mochas in the winter months, but I think an iced Chai is the way to go for the summer. Today, with the sunshine and 75 degree weather I went with a raspberry Italian soda, soda water and raspberry syrup. It cooled me off perfectly.

So, what's the healthy verdict on this case? Well, like so many places in Athens, healthy is what you make it. Donkey is notable for it's range of options and ability to cater to people's dietary needs. You could get the whole-milk, sugar-filled milkshake-coffee-thing, or you could get an organic, soy, sugar-free, guilt-free drink. Both will be delicious, and the latter will leave you lighter on the scale and in conscience.

Here are the basics in case you want to go:
Location:
17 1/2 Washington St.
Athens, OH 45701
Hours:
It opens at 7 a.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. on weekends. It is always open until 1 a.m. (to give you that all-nighter boost).

Let's say you can't be bothered to pick up the coffee yourself. Now, as the owner of an espresso maker I have always held the belief that coffee drinks are like pie crust - it's better when they're made for you. But, if you insist on being a do-it-yourself-er here are some coffee drink recipes and vegan baking recipes:
Like always, I hope these recipes are helpful and that you make them in good health!

2 comments:

  1. Nice coverage of the Donkey, but it was definitely more of a general overview than about heathy food. If I didn't know the title of your blog, I wouldn't have guessed your focus was healthy options to eat. But I did like how you came at the healthy food topic from different angles. Like the fair trade, organic side, and the vegan option side. It'd be nice if the photos from inside the shop weren't so dark, but otherwise, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should say, just as Front Room is my favourite place in OU, donkey is my favourite out of OU. My friend says that there is poetry reading on Tuesdays and open mic nights on Thursdays. I'm thinking about going there to sing sometime~

    ReplyDelete